Tracking

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Recipe Trial #1 - Chunky Vegetable Lasagna

Good morning. One of my little ambitions for myself this year is to try at least one new recipe a month to help break up the monotony of the dishes we religiously fall back on. My mom gave us some lasagna noodles around Christmas time and I have never made it before so this was an easy choice for my first go. I used Betty Crocker's recipe from my Gram's book with some minor tweaks for ingredients I didn't have.
 


The only things I left out were the red bell pepper. Believe it or not our grocer was out of them so I used another green one. And the pesto...I thought about the pesto, but didn't have what I needed so I nixed it.
The lasagna was relatively simple to put together, however there were several different elements going on at the same time, which typically I don't think would have been a bother, but my kitchen is rather small and I was feeling pretty cramped early on.






 The ricotta mixture was a breeze and the best flavor in the dish.
The veggie mix was hearty and chunky. I think 3 carrots is a bit much because that is mostly what I tasted when it was done. I don't have a mandolin slicer to cut Julienne pieces either so I sort of got large shreds from the peeler. If I make it again, I will just chop the carrots for easier consumption. Also I would say the veggies could have used more spices, but that is where I think the pesto would have stepped in and made a difference.



Into the oven...


...all done. Overall, it was tasty and left that awesome soupy water in the dish when you use a lot of veggies. The pesto may have balanced out all the carrots and the ricotta shined. We paired this with a spinach salad. Whoa! That's a lot of veggies, but it wasn't bad. Next time I would try to make sure I had a baguette and some red wine, but not a bad first venture.

Some observations I made during this. I am no "Grace" in the kitchen. I need some practice speeding things up and making less of a mess. I am very methodical and focused which can make watching a three year old girl a daunting task. But I liked doing this. I think I will get better and I had some fun and it was nice to try something new for dinner.

Next week I am making Baked Potato Casserole, probably as a side dish.

Mooches.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great friend! YUM-O! Great job.
    And I love the new font. You'll have to show me where you found that. I'm pretty behind the times when it comes to being creative with my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dude. It was a good start. That font is actually on here, but they either just added it or I didn't look hard enough before. I am trying to think in more journalistic terms now...like when we did the yearbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks delicious. What ingredients are at the tail end of the recipe? Do you have the Pesto recipe that's on page 345? Anytime you want to prepare some dishes and freeze, I love to cook too, and would be more than happy to share my secrets :)
    Love Aumtie I

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know Reen, I debated posting the whole recipe, but decided not to. There isn't much else in there and I do have the pesto recipe. Can't wait to hear some of the secrets!

    ReplyDelete