Tracking

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lost, Found and Hand-Me-Down

This week I made some major finds at the thrift store after spending entirely too long there, but it was so worth it. First, let me back up. You remember the last one of these I did back in January about my grandmother's recipe album? Well shortly thereafter, I received an email from my West Coast auntie with a reflection. I asked her if I could share it and this is what she had to say:
Thanks for sharing that.  Boy, you're right.  Mom's handwriting is unbelieveably perfect.  I notice you're showing a page with Famous Barr's French Onion Soup recipe.  Famous Barr had a lunch counter in their downtown store that was famous for its onion soup.  This was even from the time when Mom was a girl.  It was there all through my childhood and young adulthood too.  When they finally closed the counter (or maybe it was the whole store), they released the recipe, which was printed in the Post Dispatch.  That's where Mom got it from.  I don't think Mom ever tried the recipe though because, of course, it is for producing soup on a large scale.
Very cool! The "Lost" posts have been fun for me for reasons such as this. They have been a good way to connect with my out-of-town relatives and bring their memories to light.

I did, however, do my own rummaging this week and came away with an armful for pennies. Here's some of what I found:
Union Jack hankies. These will be napkins in my new picnic basket.
Vintage dress the first. One small hole on a seam and no stains!
I love the two buttons at the neck, but not on this dress. They will go in my button jar. The belt was no good either so I will need to find a better one. I know thick belts are out, but I really think that is what would look best.
Vintage dress number two.
 Another cheap polyester frock, but you should see these bad boys on. Very flattering and adorable. I can't wait for some warmer weather. I was somewhat surprised by the pleats on this because they are actually really cute.
The piping detail is to die for.
I also got four pairs of pants for the smallest and two summery skirts for me. No luck on awesome t-shirts. Maybe next time.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment