Tracking

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Under 150

Yep, that number is my weight or rather it was my weight. 150 pounds I am no longer and what exciting news that is. At least for me. You see, last year I made it my goal to change my lifestyle and establish some good habits to keep me fit and in overall better health. I pay very close attention to what I eat now and I make sure I am "moving" 6 out of 7 days a week. I lost 25 pounds in the process and feel really, really good...mentally and physically. I feel good, not because I am down a few dress sizes, but because I changed my habits and not just my weight. I am proud of my success, but got held up at this 150 number for several months towards the end of 2010. And it is not a bad number for my height to be, but there was/is still a little room for improvement and that has been my goal for 2011...refining my habits and the process. Last week, it finally paid off when I stepped on the scale and saw 149. In celebration I thought I would share a few of the snacks I eat regularly that have really helped me achieve my goals.
Simple homemade trail mix
I make this simplified trail mix about every two weeks for my husband and myself. I have no clue what serving size he eats, but I eat no more than 1/2 a cup a day and really, I don't need to. This serving will hold me over for at least two hours and usually longer. To make it mix 1 lb. whole almonds, 1 lb. walnut pieces, 24 oz. raisins and half a normal bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips in a large bowl. That's it. The nuts are unsalted and supply the good fats and protein I need and the raisins and chocolate chips add that little bit of sweet I sometimes crave. This is a great afternoon snack when you need that extra Oomph to get you to dinner. No need for mini-candy bars and you could actually split the bag of chocolate into thirds for this mix. I kind of feel like they are everywhere.
Plain Yogurt Parfait
I really should have gotten a better pic, but I don't typically eat this out of a brandy glass. This is my new favorite, go-to eatsy treatsy. I realize this is not ice cream, but ohmygod this does the trick in the mornings. I eat this nearly everyday. Very simply I mix 1/4 cup frozen blueberries and 1/2 cup plain yogurt the night before. This gives the blueberries time to thaw so they don't hurt your teeth! In the morning I add 1/4 cup of Grape Nuts cereal, mix and eat. Protein, fruit, whole grains, fiber and low fat...can't beat it.

Now, to be fair, I cheated on this one at first. The process is ongoing ya know? I used to despise plain yogurt, but I am trying to get away from foods with added sugar. Don't be afraid to use a vanilla yogurt instead though. It's better than eating a super sugary granola or candy bar. I figured that I could probably acquire the taste for plain yogurt if I just tried it long enough though. I did, too, after a month of adding a 1/4 teaspoon of cane sugar to this mix. I slowly backed off and can now eat it without any hesitation. I have found that the organic plain yogurts tend to taste better than non-organic, but Dannon has a whole plain yogurt that consists of just cultured milk and a has a sort of cream cheese taste to it that was very good. If you can't/don't do organic, then I would give that one a go.

In long-winded conclusion, let's see how long it takes me to get to 145. Swimsuit season is coming up.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Job Octavia! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Octavia! Keep it up. Or should I say keep "it" down.
    Auntie I

    ReplyDelete