Tracking

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dry Shampoo


Did you try the No Shampoo Alternative I posted about? What do you think? I am still using it and LOVE it. I want to tag on a couple of things that might be helpful. A) I have really short hair so the amount I use will probably last a little longer than for those with a crop longer than a couple of inches. 2) It takes some practice since the mix is thinner and runs everywhere. Take your time and enjoy the scalp massage. D) I now have to wash my hair daily. Or do I?


I used to keep a can of dry shampoo lying around for the days in between a scrub, but hated the waste that came with it. It also tended to leave a powdery residue in my hair for the first hour or so. My first solution was to mix baby powder we still had lying around with some baking soda and throwing that in my hair. It was a mess, but I got decent to similar results as the can of dry shampoo. Well that's cool, because at least I get the same thing without the cost and waste. However, what happens when the baby powder runs out?

Well, I read the ingredients and decided I could make my own without any added chemicals to the powder and no extra bottle in the recycle bin. You will need:

  • An old spice jar with sprinkle cap
  • Baking soda
  • Corn starch
  • Lavender or other essential oil, debatable
I didn't use any real science or measurements and mixed the dry stuff, in the jar, roughly 1:1. If you have essential oil, add in about 10 drops. Cap it up and shake the mess out of it. Make a pretty label for it if you have kids, husband, or anything that might get into something it shouldn't. Use in between regular hair washings.

Tips:
  • Shake gently and go slow. Use your clean fingers or a comb to distribute evenly.
  • I have light colored hair so the powder is not noticeable for the most part. It is usually absorbed in an hour. For those with dark hair, maybe put it on the night before or in plenty of time before you have to go to work. You could also try spritzing it with water to speed things up (I have not tested this).
  • I only use this on the parts of my hair that really need it to save time, money and eliminate the little cloud emanating from my head if I sneeze.
Let me know what you use at home or if you have any tips for a squeaky clean, green alternative. Later ~ OP

No comments:

Post a Comment