Tracking

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Persnickety Poppies

  • As of yesterday, when I snapped this photo, I still only had one very lonesome sprout. I can't get the damn things to germinate and I followed the instructions precisely. This is not my first go-round with Oriental Poppies either. I have tried them out several different seasons with different methods and they never establish.

  • As of today, I am thrilled to report several new sprout-lings reaching for the sun. I hear that once you get these poppies going they are unstoppable. I would love to have an entire field of poppies! Has anyone else ever tried to grow these? Any tips? Mooches ~ OP

2 comments:

  1. Well i am no expert on these poppies but i just chuck the seeds onto the ground and hey presto they grow..do they self set? we had a few hundred last yr..but ours were california poppies...try it with a few and see..
    sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that the first year, but I also didn't tend them appropriately. I have some extras, so I am going to try that again and maybe start some in a damp cloth and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete